Thursday, February 23, 2017

Chicken Happenings

I thought I would write a little update on our chickens.



*We currently have 15 hens and 2 roosters.

*We have had chickens for 6 years now. They are so fun to watch. We love to let them roam during the day on our homestead.

*We have never before had 2 roosters at one time. Our neighbor has about 6 roosters and wanted rid of some. We took one at first, then my husband came home with another. I thought that with the large amount of land they can roam on, they would be fine. I was wrong :)

*Rooster are so protective over their flock of girls. The first rooster we got says "this is my place, move out!" So we have had some rooster fighting over the past week. We all voted at dinner on what to do about this situation. There were lots of ideas coming from our boys.

*The vote came out, that we would try to find a new home for our black rooster.


*My husband found a man at his work that is going to take the black rooster on Friday. We are thankful. They have been fighting for blood. Something I have never witnessed, but it is surely true. Rooster are soo protective over their hens.


*This spring we have plans to repaint our barn. The boys want it to be red, but we shall see. Our house is a light green, and I'm not sure red would go well. I love that our boys are so involved with the happenings around the farm.

They truly love our little quiet spot in West Virginia.


How are your chickens doing if you have them? We currently get around 8 eggs per day. Some of our girls aren't laying anymore due to old age, and too young. We just love watching them scratch and peck. They are very friendly to us and the boys as we have raised them from chicks.

Happy Thursday!!



Image Map

3 comments:

Simply Handmade Farmhouse said...

Some fine looking ladies you have. Rooster can be that way, we have two and I want to turn them out to the food chain. We asked around a couple of men said yes, but no show.

4sonsfarmhouse said...

That is kinda what happened here. People say yes, then no show. Have a happy Friday Teresa. THANK you for your love and advice.

Blessed Homemaking said...

Wow, I will keep this in mind! We don't have chickens up, but plan to get some soon, Lord willing.