Sunday, July 27, 2014

Amish

This summer, I made a deal with myself. 

I need to be reading! 

After I graduated college 3 years ago I was pretty burnt out on reading. But, I always tell the boys if your not reading and learning your brain will turn to mush. (Ok maybe a bit much but hey!) 

I went to the bookstore and wanted to find a good series. I also wanted it to be up lifting and inspirational. I have always been interested in the Amish way of living. So I picked up this book. 

Plain Pease written by Beth Wisemen. I couldn't put it down and read it everywhere. 

While watching the boys swim in the pool...



I then went to the next in the series Plain Promise. Love reading on the front porch in my swing, in my favorite spot :) Is it just me, or do you have "your spot" in different places around your home? I do.




Sitting by the creek while my boys fish, I read! 


Its very peaceful to read outback by our garden. I watch the boys and their daddy work on the barn. The chickens are pecking and the cat is curled up at my feet. 


I have mentioned to Kevin I would love to go to an Amish home and have dinner. You can actually do that, I've looked into it. Amish families do host others into their home as a means of making money. I am really thinking that would be a great trip for Kevin and I next Spring as an anniversary trip for 8 years.

In the back of each book are Amish recipes. They are all so unique. I made the chicken wraps one night for dinner. My whole family loved them, which is rare for everyone to agree. 


If you are looking for an uplifting series to read, pick up one of these books. They are so easy and fun to read.


I think the reason I love these books so much, is to know more about their simple life.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Simply Handmade Farmhouse said...

I just love a book that is full of the simpler life.. The girls and I love reading little house at bed time.
Thank you for sharing.